Friday, October 1, 2010

Networking 101

Some fragmented thoughts on networking 101...


Meeting and Networking are two different things.... You can meet with anyone, and probably say "Nice meeting you" and the conversation / relationship will end there.... Meaningful networking happens when

- People derive pleasure out of your company
- You might add value to their life
- You make them feel good (let them feel good)
- You are champ in your area - people need to learn from you...

Golden rule of networking - When you ask someone for help; ask it for someone else e.g. if you are going to speak at some place ask to make a contribution to a charity of your interest.

You don't play play tennis with Leander Paes; similarly you don't play cricket with Tendulkar. You should play tennis with Tendulkar and Cricket with Federer :) i.e. Don't keep talking to people about their strength area or something very obvious topic; but bring them to an area of discussion that is your strength. Then only you can have an equal conversation. CREATE for yourself a leveled playing field.

No comments:

Follow My Blog

About Me

My photo
I was born in the lap of Himalayas (Himachal Pradesh) in the home of educationalists. I grew up in an environment where asking questions was encouraged; and curiosity was considered foundation to enlightenment. I dedicate all my learning in life to those who encouraged me in my quest to “figure things out” and responded to my curiosities. Spiritual orientation helps me to accept possibilities beyond the realm of logic.